It is a wonderful treat to receive doggy kisses. However sometimes these licks of love may become a bit much when you cannot go near Fidette without her licking you. If she becomes an obsessive licker, the reason may not be just to show you affection.
1. Experts believe that when a dog licks humans, themselves or other objects, endorphin’s are released and stress levels reduced. This behavior becomes a way a dog to pass the time in a soothing and relaxing way. This is most often true when a dog smack's their lips. Pay attention.
2. A dog may be licking you just because she likes the way you taste. Even a miniscule amount of food left on your hands or face may prove too much for her to resist. She is also attracted to the salt on your skin as well as any new scent you carry. If Fidette wants to know where you have been all afternoon she may just lick you to find out. Licking you provides all sorts of information about where you have been and if you have been cheating on her with another furry fiend!
3. A dog will instinctively lick a wound or injury as the bacteria in her saliva contains enzymes which kill any bacteria around that area. The force of her licking will also remove dead tissue and any foreign debris from the wound which will stimulate healing. Because this behavior is an animal instinct, a dog feels that by licking your wound or injury she is helping you recover more speedily
4. We know that dogs lick other dogs and themselves, but why lick humans? Licking is a vital form of canine communication. As a puppy she licked her mother as a way of requesting food. Growing up she would lick another dog’s mouth as a sign of submission and respect.
5. Your dog has been staring at you for what feels to her like hours. You ignored her nose nudge and paw prodding and at this point the only way she knows she can attract your attention – aside from barking – is by licking your hand, arm or going straight for your face. Next time your dog does this make sure she has a full bowl of water or a toy to play with: perhaps she is just bored and needs a walk or a toilet break outside?